Live from Holy Week (as promised)
Bigger is not Better
If I had a place I knew was safe
Held tightly in a hand that would not crush
But protect. Embracing me fully as I am
Then maybe I could let go, put down my gurad
Release my inhibitions. No one to impress
Who wasn't already awed by simply how I was made,
Who I am. I AM is His name
The One. The place. Safe. True.
I am with I AM.
Embraced. Known. Loved.
Give up already! My will so stubborn. My ego
So protective of itself. Worried that it might not be
Big enough. As if it could
Somehow grow large enough
To protect, to insulate.
Instead, its growth hides and crushes.
It is a prison, not a fortress.
I built this prison. And in my self-sufficience
I lay each brick, mortaring them in with
My arguments and arrogance, until I am
Isolated and trapped. Every word and action
Seen to others only through the iron and stone
Of my self-constructed penitentiary.
Is there no escape from this hopeless dungeon
That I dug and cast myself into?
If only I had a place I knew was safe.
ju
04.11.06
If I had a place I knew was safe
Held tightly in a hand that would not crush
But protect. Embracing me fully as I am
Then maybe I could let go, put down my gurad
Release my inhibitions. No one to impress
Who wasn't already awed by simply how I was made,
Who I am. I AM is His name
The One. The place. Safe. True.
I am with I AM.
Embraced. Known. Loved.
Give up already! My will so stubborn. My ego
So protective of itself. Worried that it might not be
Big enough. As if it could
Somehow grow large enough
To protect, to insulate.
Instead, its growth hides and crushes.
It is a prison, not a fortress.
I built this prison. And in my self-sufficience
I lay each brick, mortaring them in with
My arguments and arrogance, until I am
Isolated and trapped. Every word and action
Seen to others only through the iron and stone
Of my self-constructed penitentiary.
Is there no escape from this hopeless dungeon
That I dug and cast myself into?
If only I had a place I knew was safe.
ju
04.11.06


1 Comments:
Wow! That is awesome. Keep writing poetry Justin!
Post a Comment
<< Home