Re-entering the Matrix
I get the opportunity every so often to leave my normal everyday surroundings and experience something else for a little while. Most recently it was the Passion '06 worship conference in Nashville, TN. When I left, I could tell that I was tired from the grind of life in ministry...the challenge (albeit a rewarding one) of everything being a work in progress, especially myself. But there is something refreshing and life-giving about being around 18,000 people singing at the top of their lungs in a packed arena, worshiping God, which is exactly what I got to experience this last week. And while away at an event like this, I have time for a variety of things to pass through my mind, and certain things always do. I always seem to explore in my mind what else I could be doing instead of my current vocation. Am I really in the right spot? Why am I in ministry when I could make a whole lot more money doing something else? After all, I do have a degree in computer science. And couldn't I do just as much minstry or more in a workplace full of people who don't know Jesus? Why don't I pursue songwriting and touring as a worship leader? There's plenty of bad musicians who have gotten lucky. Do I really have to go back already?
Then something inevitably happens. My time away ends and I have to re-enter the matrix of my normal life. This time I re-entered church ministry life at 8 o'clock AM on SATURDAY morning for a leadership meeting (after getting home at 8pm the night before) . And at about 8:15am on Saturday morning I noticed something that I seem to notice every time I return to my church community after being away. This is where I am supposed to be! Despite all the questions that I ask while I'm away, this epiphany always strikes me anew upon my return...that this is my home...my community...where I belong. I suppose that it is possible that one day this will not be the case, but for now I am home, refreshed and back to serving the community that God has blessed me with. I'll get to some of those other questions later...especially the songwriting one.
Then something inevitably happens. My time away ends and I have to re-enter the matrix of my normal life. This time I re-entered church ministry life at 8 o'clock AM on SATURDAY morning for a leadership meeting (after getting home at 8pm the night before) . And at about 8:15am on Saturday morning I noticed something that I seem to notice every time I return to my church community after being away. This is where I am supposed to be! Despite all the questions that I ask while I'm away, this epiphany always strikes me anew upon my return...that this is my home...my community...where I belong. I suppose that it is possible that one day this will not be the case, but for now I am home, refreshed and back to serving the community that God has blessed me with. I'll get to some of those other questions later...especially the songwriting one.


1 Comments:
it is alway nice to be home, it is nice to have you home
Post a Comment
<< Home