Thursday, April 20, 2006

What if we learned Jesus wrong?

A couple years ago I read a sermon by George MacDonald that asked the question "What if we learned Jesus wrong?" Since then it's always kind of been on my mind. What things have we assumed about Jesus, or how have we interpreted him incorrectly? This book has got me thinking about those questions again. What I'm particularly wrestling with is how we've interpreted Jesus' message through the lens of our 21st century American worldview, since last time I checked Jesus was Jewish. I'm pretty sure there's quite a difference between those two cultures which should have some serious ramifications for how we hear the message of Jesus...especially his parables. More to come...

5 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Myers said...

I too have been wrestling through this book.

It is so hard. I read a book like this and it lights my faith on fire, then I hear all of the evangelicals crying out calling McLaren a heretic and that his views are straight out of gnosticism.

I hear that and try and discern if he is right or not. I cannot dispute my relationship with Jesus, but it begs the question what Christianity is and who are truly followers of Jesus.

Then i begin to wonder if I am a christian...cause I don't want to have anything to do with those guys.

Kathryn has a friend that says that kathryn is her best friend, but the kathryn she knows is not the real kathryn....makes me wonder cans he says Kathryn is her friend if she doesnt know the real kathryn?

Can someone who follows a caucasion modern 21st century imperial image of Jesus say that they are a follower of jesus if they got the wrong guy?

10:09 PM  
Blogger Landrewc said...

Thats cool that you are reading some of his stuff Justin. It sounds like you and I are grappling with some of the same issues. I am going to be up in Portland hearing McLaren on June 15th. It might be cool to see you if you are interested in going and unpacking it later.

10:42 AM  
Blogger justin ubel said...

Lance,
Too bad he'll be here on June 15, because I'll be laying on a beach in Puerto Vallarta. We should catch some soccer at horsbrass and talk theology over a Guinness.

ju

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

McLaren is a wise man. I'm going to add this one to my wishlist...

Another good book to dive into is Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Aaron Geist said...

Ah...when school is out.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home